Ah, remember those cute, little blue creatures on Saturday morning cartoons called THE SMURFS that you watched like it was crack or something, well, those little blue bastards are 50 years old! That's crazy!!!!!!!
Here is some trivia about the creation of The Smurfs. They officially were created in Brussels, Belgium by a man known as Pierrot Culliford "Peyo" in 1958. However, the Smurfs actually debuted in the newspaper comic "Johan et Pirouit", published in the Belgian daily "La dernière heure" in 1947 (and later in the children's section of "Le Soir" in 1951 & 1952). Pierrot Culliford was born in 1928, and passed away in 1992. He received the nickname "Peyo" because of his cousin's inability to pronouce his name properly.
The characters became known as Smurfs around the world, but the original name was "Schtroumpf" which is the Flemish equivalent of the English language colloquial "Whatchamacallit".
There are over 100 Smurfs who live in mushroom houses inside Smurf Village, led by the all-mighty good and powerful wizard PAPA SMURF.
Apparently, there is a 3-D animated film that's set to come out next year. Oh Yeah!!!